Fruit of the Spirit: Love

I just finished reading the chapter on Love. Elizabeth George spoke about constantly going to God to be filled with his love. Some days it is easy to go all day loving everyone you come in contact with. Some days it's hard, and we need to remember to constantly keep on going back to God for love, even if it means every minute of the day. The only way I can show Christ's love to others is if I am full of Christ's love to give.

Luke 6:32 "If you love only those who love you, why should you get credit for that? Even sinners love those who love them!"
Luke 6:35-36 "Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked. You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate."

I have found in the last month or so I have even failed to love those who show love to me. I had to go to Tim the other day and apologize to him for not giving him the love I should from Christ. I have been self-centered and wanting my own way, and have been lazy! I have felt the Holy Spirit tugging at my heart letting me know that I should treat Tim better. I apologized for not being the wife he needs. And Tim, bless his heart encouraged me telling me that I am doing a wonderful job at being his wife and that it didn't cross his mind that I wasn't. But in my heart I knew that I should be doing more.

Am I the only one, or do others find it easier to show love to those you come in contact throughout the day than it is to show love to those you live with? Why is that? Is it because I know those who love me know the real me and I am comfortable to let my true feelings and emotions show? And I want others to think highly of me, so I put on a facade?

I know it wont be easy, but I am praying like crazy for God to teach me the love he wants me to give others, especially Tim. And I know that once I am able to give Tim the love that Christ will give me, then it will show on the outside to the people I come in contact outside of my house. Most of all I really want to be a great wife for Tim, coming along side him supporting him in ministry.

In order to do this I will have to constantly go back to God and get refilled with his love. John 15:5 says, "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing." And 15:9 & 10 say, "I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love."

There is no doubt that I can't do this on my own. I must constantly seek after God and to ask for his love and help to show his love. Wow this makes me excited! God loves me so much that he wants me to remain in him, and by doing that he will shower me with the Fruit of the Spirit.

1 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful wife! The best one EVER! I love you! :-)