Holiday Hustle and Bustle

I recently finished cleaning up with my sister after our dad's church staff party. Mom and Dad worked all day up until the party was over a little after 7 before rushing out to make it to another party. Dad asked Katelin and I to finish putting the food up, so we did and decided they'd like it if we did a lot more than that. We washed dishes, took down the extra tables that were previously set up, and put the furniture back in order.

I think things are going to start slowing down before Christmas. Mom and Dad are finished throwing their two Christmas parties, and we will have a small Christmas. I think the four of us are staying here and no one will be coming over that we know of. Jon and Brooke (my brother and sister-in-law) cannot even make it over since Jon will be on call. This will give them more time to spend with Brooke's family though, so that is a blessing for them.

Tomorrow Katelin and I will step out into the shopping world and get mom and dad Christmas presents, so that should be interesting. I have had to venture to Target the last two days. As I watched people in bad, frustrated, stressed moods out driving, and walking through stores, I forced myself to stay calm and not let this holiday bug come over me. While enjoying my time at the store, hearing conversations here and there I started to ponder why in such a time made for love and rejoicing people can get into the worst moods ever.

I guess it is a perfect time for Satan to step in and try to ruin such a wonderful celebration. With all the expectations the world has made to make Christmas time so perfect, the true meaning of Christmas slowly dwindles off. I haven't let myself listen to the news about people wanting to take Christ out of Christmas. I don't even want to get into a discussion on how idiotic people can get. I wonder what Christmas would be like if people would concentrate on Christ and family at Christmas time. Not worrying about buying any presents, not worrying about a big meal, but just enjoying a time to worship our Savior and enjoy the time off of work and school that is given to us to be with family. How wonderful to combine that and see individual families worshiping in their homes together.

It is a blessing to be able to have others to buy gifts for, and food to cook, but when worry comes into play Christmas is not as enjoyable. If we keep our focus on Christ, on what this season is all about, then I think we might see a lot more smiling faces as we are stuck in shopping traffic and waiting in long check out lines. Instead of hearing grumbles from the people all around, and maybe from our own mouths, we might start to hear, just maybe, a couple new friendships blooming as cheer and love, Christ's love, spreads through people's hearts.

This reminds me of Mary and Martha when Jesus visits their home. Martha was so worried about making everything perfect for her guest. And Mary knew the One thing to concentrate on.
Luke 10:41-42 "But the Lord said to her, 'My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. May has discovered it-and I wont take it away from her.'"(NLT)

Have you discovered it?


Sorry if my thoughts seem pretty random and jumbled, I tried to write this with lots of pauses while people come in and out of the room.

0 comments: