The Wallflower Who Is Asked to Dance

Last month I went to Youth Specialties' National Youth Workers Convention. I intentionally went to an even number of sessions for myself as I did for my Jr. High girls that I work with. I understand the importance of self-health and spiritual well-being. If I do not give myself time with God, and spend time letting God build me up and grow me, then I would not be a good teacher.
One session blew me off my feet. I had the chance to listen to Angela Thomas, whose link is on my site. Never had I once had someone tell me how much God loves me, so many times and so deep heartedly as Angela. I went away wanting to tell each of my girls this love God has for them, and tell them over and over again. I am reading her book, "Do You Think I'm Beautiful?" that she gave to everyone who went to her session. I am loving it, and have a few pages picked out already that I want to share every so often.

Chapter 2 "The Wallflower Who is Asked to Dance"
You have heard that God loves you, but maybe you have been like me and misunderstood. His love for you is not just a "whole world in His hands" kind of love. This love is individual. God and you. One-on-one. Intimate. Personal. Romantic.
God's love for you is passionate and pure and without reservation. He never holds back or plays games with your heart. There are no riddles with God. This kind of love does not stand you up. He always shows up, always remembers, and always keeps His promises. God's love is unrelenting. He does not turn away even if you do. His excitement over you does not wane. God's love is not some namby-pamby kindergarten crush. He is not fickle. God has seen you across the room, and He cannot take His eyes off you.
Do you get this? Do you hear me describing the love that you long for on this earth? Does this sound like the love you have been looking for all of your life? Maybe you have tasted this love in relationships or in marriage, yet you recognize that there is still a deeper longing. Is your heart pounding, "Yes, that's the love I have imagined"? Our desires reflect our design. The love that God has for us is the love your soul was made for. It is an intimate, vulnerable, completing kind of love.

- Angela Thomas

0 comments: